Monday, September 12, 2011

The Great Big Gamification Debate

Hi friends!

Tonight I wanted to talk about a trend that has been quite a controversial topic in the gaming industry - gamification. Gamification refers to applying gaming mechanics to non-game applications to engage audiences in different ways and for different purposes.

Two interesting articles came out last month debating the subject. The first was published on The Atlantic by Ian Bogost, a professor, game designer and critic. In Gamification is Bullshit, Bogost argues that the tool is used by big business as a marketing ploy. He goes on to assert that it is deceptive and takes away from the integrity of games themselves.

Author, entrepreneur and Gamification Summit chair Gabe Zichermann shares an opposing view on Kotaku.com. In Gamification is Here to Stay (And it's not Bullshit), Zichermann discusses the immense benefits that can come from gamification that most critics overlook. He highlights the ability for the trend to tackle social issues such as obesity, education, sustainability and more.

So who is right? Well, I encourage you to read both articles to learn more about each side. I don't really think it's possible to pick just one since each argument has a variety of implications. I personally lean toward Zichermann, but I understand where Bogost is coming from. I just think he is looking at the trend very superficially.

I'm going to provide an example. At my internship this summer, I sat in on a brainstorming session for a major client (sorry, I can't actually divulge who or I will get in trouble). The purpose of the meeting was to come up with a way to add gaming mechanics to a client's product website. Gamification in the flesh! Well, I was excited and supported the initiative, because it made sense. The product was a training tool for employees, and it was BORING. Why not try something different and use a platform that is perfect for engagement?


Bogost talks about gamification becoming a automatic check mark on a list for corporate strategy. I really don't have a problem with this if it fits the strategy of a campaign. Plus, I think it's really cool that game strategy is now being considered by big business, and it shows how mainstream games are becoming. Companies shouldn't just "gamify" for the sake of doing it or because everyone else is doing it, though. It should follow a case-by-case basis, and the benefits to the audiences and organization must be considered thoroughly. That doesn't mean gamification isn't abused, and I think that is what concerns Bogost the most.

We also need to talk about gamification in terms of public interest communications - a field I am studying in depth this semester. Public interest communications (PIC) basically boils down to communication for some social good. PIC is done for reasons that transcend an organization itself. I think Zichermann's argument comes into play here. He talks about the potential for gamification to make the world a better place overall if used in the right way. This is a pretty bold statement. Check out this video from G4 host and editor Adam Sessler that correlates well. It focuses on getting a job in the video game industry, but if you watch 3:14-3:52 he makes some insightful comments about gamification and how it is spreading into our world.



Zichrmann points out that gamification isn't only used for marketing. It can help children learn to read, teach consumers recycling techniques and assist employees in losing a couple of extra pounds. It's all about disclosure, though. The message and purpose needs to be clear. I think this aligns with the principles of PIC. If a company is using gamification for the sole purpose of selling something or making money, it is a lot harder to take the program seriously.

I will say that I think Zichermann overlooks some of the organizations that are abusing the practice. And in all honesty, I think Bogost has a problem with the field of marketing more than anything else. Either way, I really don't think gamification is going anywhere, at least for a little while. As Jane McGonigal has said, games can make us better. What's wrong with that? Sigh... I think I just want everyone to be a gamer.

Keep reading!

Love,
The Girl Informer










No comments:

Post a Comment