Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The death of a genre?

Hello again friends!

I know I really don't talk much about RPGs on this blog (obviously kidding :P), but I wanted to go a little in depth about where I think the genre is headed.

Whenever I read comments or message boards related to RPGs, I get really discouraged from all the people criticizing the genre, particularly the Final Fantasy series. A lot of gamers think old-school style games simply don't have a place in the market anymore. Many believe that new releases, such as the apparent train wreck known as Final Fantasy XIV, simply do not come close to the quality of the classics, such as Final Fantasy VII.

Some gamers point to Square Enix as a proof that the genre is going to die off. Check out this Game Informer article. Once a thriving company, profits have dropped 77 percent. Ouch. Does the developer understand what consumers want in an RPG anymore? Is the company stuck in the old days?

I would argue that the genre is not dieing, but I do believe it is evolving. Consider which game most people consider the top RPG of 2010 - Mass Effect 2. The game garnered critical acclaim and received a wide variety of awards. Just look at a few of these:

2010 Spike Video Game Awards Best RPG
Game Informer Best RPG of 2010
GameTrailers Best RPG

Mass Effect 2 is classified as a RPG, but it is also a shooter. In fact, role-playing games are encompassing more elements from other genres than ever before, particularly action/adventure.

I think Square Enix is actually starting to understand this concept after watching the trailer for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. It looks a lot different than any other entry in the series. The game overall seems like a much more modern RPG, fusing a strong narrative with contemporary gameplay. I totally agree with one of my friends when he said, "It's like Kingdom Hearts gameplay had a baby with a Final Fantasy storyline." I'm nervous about the game failing to live up to the hype but excited that the company could be making a comeback. Watch below!



Honestly, I think the genre is adapting with the times. Developers are simply making the best games they can for what gamers are interested in. I am a firm believer that anyone can play any genre enjoyably as long as the game is solid (although my shooter skills would probably be the perfect example of the OPPOSITE theory).

In the end, there will still be games for hardcore RPG lovers like me. I just think they'll be harder to find and less popular overall. Still, I'll settle for searching a little harder or playing a "hybrid RPG" over no RPGs at all!

I'll be back soon!

Love,
The Girl Informer

3 comments:

  1. RPG's have just not had a decent story for me lately. So how how was the rest of the CON? Nice to meet you briefly. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more about media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun! My boyfriend and I got a little frustrated with the organization of it this year, though.

    The new venue was awesome, but they didn't seem to know how to use it. We were screwed out of seeing the costume contest and had to wait in line for way too many things.

    Hopefully they'll work out the kinks next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I'll definitely check out your blog! You might see this one take a little more specific direction soon :P

    ReplyDelete