Friday, November 30, 2012

You can't take the sky from me

Hi again friends,

Sorry for the short hiatus. I got a little behind with work and some medical drama, but all is well now! I'm really stoked to share an awesome experience I had with my boyfriend this past month. It isn't necessarily gaming related, but it is directly linked to fandom and nerd culture.

Let me just start off by saying that I love being a nerd. I love being hopelessly obsessed with fictional characters in games, film and media. I consider these passions to be a very positive part of my personality. I really think that people who don't care about something so strongly are fairly boring. 
  
Two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I went to a bar in the Plaza Midwood area of Charlotte. This might not seem very eventful, but we weren't simply there to grab a drink. We met up with a group of about 40 fans and watched the 10th anniversary Firefly documentary on the Science Channel

I found out about the event from the social networking site Meetup. Basically, you search interests and join groups with people that share the same ones. I currently belong to the Charlotte Anime/Manga Society and the Charlotte Geeks. This is only the second meetup I've ever attended and although I've experienced a little bit of cliqueyness, it's so nice to be around a group of people that love and laugh at the same things you do. 

Growing up, I attended a fantasy/sci-fi convention in New York every year called I-CON. One year, I was able to catch a viewing of Galaxy Quest with a huge group of fellow attendees. It was absolutely hilarious to watch that movie in a room full of geeks! They understood every single joke and made the experience ten times funnier. 

It had a similarly enjoyable experience at the documentary viewing. Not only did it feel like a reunion among friends (ones that don't necessarily all know each other), but it was also a fantastic time to reminisce. Many members honored Hoban Washburne with a variety of Hawaiian shirts, and the group organizers even put on Firefly trivia. I'd say that half of the group was over 40, while most were in their early thirties.


It just proves to me that fandom never dies. I think that's why people continue to love cons, even though outsiders find them to be such a strange phenomenon. Honestly though, there's nothing really weird about attending a convention. Let's use an example to illustrate. You love to run, so you run a 5K. Yes, you run it for the exercise and the self fulfillment, but it also provides a fun and friendly environment to meet people who also care about being healthy and active. It's the same idea with conventions. It's a way to connect with people who share the same interests and meet those you might not normally be able to otherwise. Since most cons are fairly neutral environments, you don't really have to worry about being judged.

Still, it can become difficult to grow older and continue to love these mediums. During Anime Weekend Atlanta in Septemeber, my boyfriend and I attended a panel called "Anime Fandom as an Adult." While I'm only 22 years old, it was such an enjoyable panel for me. The hosts made it a very welcoming, discussion-based environment. We talked about the trials and tribulations of staying up to date with anime while juggling real-life responsibilities.

pika pika!
Whenever I return from a convention or some other type of nerdy excursion, I just feel reinvigorated. It is very refreshing to see other people appreciating the things that you are sometimes ostracized for. Maybe that's a strong word, but you get what I mean. While I've never been bullied for my interests, I'd definitely say that people poke fun at them. What about you guys? Do you ever receive negative comments toward your passions? I'm curious to hear your experiences.

Now before I sign off, I want to make an exciting announcement. I've now entered the Tumblr universe! I find it awkward to include very short posts on this blog, so you can simply follow me on Tumblr to access additional media related to my posts. I promise you'll find lots of quirky content to meet your nerdy needs :)

Until next time!
-The Girl Informer

1 comment: