Monday, October 29, 2012

Girl at play: Ico

Greetings gamers,

It is such an amazing feeling to become deeply immersed in a good game. Last Christmas, my parents bought me the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection for PS3. I had never played either of the games before but had heard such phenomenal things about both titles. Many have debated that these creations from Team Ico should be considered modern pieces of art (see: Roger Ebert, New York Times, Game Informer).

I started with Ico on Christmas day. I'm a little more accustomed to traditional RPG elements, but I liked the puzzle-solving mechanics. The best thing was the fact that my dad became engrossed in the gameplay, as well. As I was trying to figure out how the hell to get Yorda to follow me (you don't get any sort of tutorial at the beginning), it was genuinely thrilled to see my dad join in. I grew up watching him play Resident Evil 3, because I was too scared to play by myself. We worked through all of the puzzles together, while he took down bad guys like Nemesis. It felt just like old times.
art cred ~psuke76 on deviantart

I think that certain genres appeal to certain individuals, but a truly moving game can resonate with anyone. My brother-in-law even started shouting at the TV, "wait, try moving that block!" Now, I'm a bit of a slow gamer, so it sometimes takes me a little while to get hooked. I took a break from Ico and finally picked it back up again seriously this month. I'm almost done (it's a relatively short game) and don't really want to be.

There is something so invigorating (and at the same time, a little lame :P) about having a good game on your mind. All I can think about at work is going home and finishing Ico. Figuring out exactly how to lead Ico and Yorda around the castle can be frustrating at times, but I desperately want to know what happens. While it doesn't seem like the type of game that will have a definitive and explanatory ending, I still need to get to that finish line.

I'll make sure to let you know once I do ^_^

-The Girl Informer

No comments:

Post a Comment